02
SEP
2015
It's all Ogre now

Summer's over and it's time for school again. This semester will be my first semester of graduate school and I'll be working as graduate assistant this year. Not much more to say there.

Over the summer, I have been allocating a large portion of my time into learning about game engine design and graphics programming. To do this, I designed a basic game engine using OpenGL and C++. The engine uses deferred shading, but I only got around to implementing basic point lights. While this project is entirely for educational purposes, I believe that I now have a fair grasp of the basic functionality behind rendering for games.

From there, I decided to drop my own rendering engine and drop in an existing one. My intent is to study the fundamental aspects of as much as I can before I devote time into deeper knowledge of any single part. Since I have worked with Ogre3D in the past, I decided to revisit my previous work with it. It sure was an eye-opener seeing my old code and how I have improved since then. Introspection aside, swapping rendering engines was fairly simple and I managed to retain most of the other work I put into the original project.